At V Candle Supplies we love making Candles with various kinds of Candle Making Raw Materials. We find these regular Candle Making Experiments to be very Therapeutic since it allows us to understand the Nature of our Products in much deeper way and by doing this we are able to share that information further with our Amazing Family of Our Lovely Customers.
One of those experiments includes one of the most commonly used waxes for making Candles i.e. Paraffin Wax.
Unfortunately Paraffin wax, although being the most used wax for making candles, have some stigma attached to it. The ever going Myth regarding Paraffin being a Toxic wax or a Smoke(Soot) Producing wax have started moving Candle Makers away from this wax. Even though when it comes to core candle performance, nothing can beat Paraffin wax.
When we started making Candles, just like all the new candle makers, we also came across various articles stating the “Why Paraffin wax is not safe” or “Paraffin wax is Toxic and Soy is Natural, hence it’s Non Toxic”. But when we did our own research we realized that while it’s true that Paraffin wax is a byproduct of Petroleum but we never came across any Proper Research paper which could prove any bad effect of Paraffin wax.
Hence we thought giving this wax a chance and we are so glad we did because the results are nothing short of being amazing.
Paraffin Wax has so many Benefits when it comes to Performance when compared to Soy Wax.
- Stronger Cold Throw
- Stronger Hot Throw
- Low Cost
- Better Color Reproduction
- Perfect for Making Pillar as well as Jar Candles
- Less Time Required for Curing
- Less Sweating due to Temperature Variation during Hot Climate
So we recently made few Paraffin Candles for a Family Event and everyone loved the Final Product so we thought why not share a Basic Recipe on “How To Make Candle with Paraffin Wax? ”
- Fully Refined Paraffin Wax
- Semi Refined Paraffin Wax (Irani)
- Candle Dye of Your Choice
- Stearic Acid
- Lavender Fragrance for Candle Making
- Classic Oudh Fragrance for Candle Making
- 2.5 Inch Shot Jar
- Wick Size – YBL 2
Let’s Start Making Candle-
- Take 70 gm Fully Refined Paraffin Wax & 30 gm Semi Refined Paraffin (70/30 Ratio).
- Melt the Wax in a Double Boiler.
- While wax is melting Add 5 gm Stearic Acid (5% as per the total weight of wax).
- Mix the Stearic Acid slowly while wax is being melted.
- For fragrance Mix Lavender Fragrance & Classic Oudh fragrance in 60:40 ratio i.e. 60% Lavender and 40% Classic Oudh.
- Weigh 8 gm – 10 gm of the fragrance (8% – 10% as per total weight of the wax).
- Take the melted wax off of double boiler once the Temperature reaches 175 F.
- Mix the Candle Dye of your choice.
- Add Fragrance in Melted Wax once temp reaches 170 F. Mix it slowly.
- Now pour the wax slowly in the Candle Jar with wick stick properly at the base of jar with Hot Glue Gun.
- Let the Candle set for 4-5 hours.
One of the properties of Paraffin wax is that it shrinks a lot while cooling down from liquid to solid which causes deep sinks (concave) on the top of the candle. Due to this Paraffin Candle may require double or more pours to get a smooth even surface.
- Once Candle cools down and deep sinks appear at the top, pour some wax to fill those sinks and let it cool down again.
- Once the top cools down properly (without any sink) use Heat Gun to slightly melt the Top to get a Smooth Even Surface.
We hope you loved our Basic Candle Making Recipe on How To Make Paraffin Candles in Jar.
Also, we would love to see and feature the candles made by our readers so Go & Make Amazing Candle with the above recipe and tag us on Instagram @vcandlesupplies.
Visit www.vcandlesupplies.com for Buying the Raw Materials used for making above candle 🙂